URTHECAST | CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Job Title: Director of Space Segment Engineering
FT/PT: Full Time
UrtheCast Corp. is a Vancouver-based technology company that serves the rapidly evolving geospatial and geoanalytics markets with a wide range of information-rich products and services. The Company currently operates four Earth Observation sensors in space, including two cameras aboard the International Space Station and two satellites, Deimos-1 and Deimos-2.
Imagery and video data captured by these sensors are downlinked to ground stations across the planet and displayed on UrtheCast’s cloud-based web platform, or distributed directly to partners and customers. UrtheCast is also developing and anticipates launching the world’s first fully-integrated constellation of multispectral optical and SAR satellites, called OptiSARTM, which the Company believes will revolutionize monitoring of our planet with high quality, high resolution, and high revisit imagery in all weather conditions, any time of day.
We are growing and are searching for a Director of Space Segment Engineering.
The Director of Space Segment Engineering, will have a vital part in achieving UrtheCast’s vision to be a world leading, vertically integrated Earth Observation company. This role is key to our ability to specify, develop and procure cutting edge space mission solutions, from the design of state of the art payloads to the launch of complete constellations of spacecraft. Amongst other things, UrtheCast’s Engineering Division is currently designing the world’s most advanced Spaceborne Synthetic Aperture Radar, is developing a completely game-changing constellation of satellites aimed at big data analytics solutions, and is further developing its class-leading platform for the provision of cloud-based EO data to users.
- Work with project managers to define and provide the engineering resources needed for projects
- Establish and maintain the industrial support base of suppliers and subcontractors needed to support engineering activities
- Develop and maintain effective engineering processes for the Space Segment Department
- Identify, procure and maintain engineering tools for the various engineering groups
- Define and manage the annual budget for the Space Segment Engineering Department
- Be responsible for employees’ training and career development
- Maintain library of engineering knowledge
- Other activities as required
EDUCATION AND DESIGNATIONS:
- Master’s in aerospace engineering, systems engineering or related discipline (engineering, math, physics)
- Professional Engineering designation an asset
- 15+ years in engineering including design and development experience
- 10+ years of progressive experience managing multi-disciplinary engineering teams involved in complex new product development, including prototype manufacture and test
- Experience of space mission engineering would be an asset
- Experience developing complex systems involving all engineering disciplines
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
- Ability to take initiative and thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Demonstrated strategic thinking, planning and problem solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and proven management experience
- Interest and flexibility in fulfilling multiple roles
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Knowledge of relevant industry and enthusiasm for innovation
- Configuration management processes and tools
- Quality / Product assurance processes
- Enthusiasm for innovation
- Prior experience in a start-up environment
- Knowledge of NASA or ESA design, test and qualification processes
- Knowledge of ISO 9000 or similar quality systems
- Fast-paced, open-concept, constantly evolving
- Some travel required
What can we offer you?
- Competitive compensation, full benefits and flexible time off
- Great work environment, team and office
- Great lunch programs will provide you with an opportunity to learn and socialize, and our Friday afternoons will set the right mood for the weekend
- Free gym membership
- Sports teams (dodgeball, soccer, volleyball etc.) and regular team events
- Fully loaded kitchen!
To learn more about UrtheCast’s platform visit www.urthecast.com.