UrtheCast Corp. is a Vancouver-based technology company that serves the rapidly evolving geospatial and geoanalytics markets with a wide range of information-rich products and services. UrtheCast is growing and is shaping the future of earth observation. We provide the world with next-generation Earth Observation data using our growing system of space-based sensors. Our Crew members consider themselves agents of change as they work to provide Earth imagery and video data that enables heightened geospatial analysis. With that data, we build our products and services to help everyone — citizens, businesses, and governments alike — make advances in areas ranging from high-tech precision agriculture and forestry resource management, to the monitoring of humanitarian relief efforts. This type of large-scale change requires near-constant technological iteration and innovation, so UrtheCast continues to initiate unprecedented engineering programs like its planned UrtheDaily™ and OptiSAR™ constellations. Every day, we push the limits of what’s possible in space-based Earth Observation.
We are currently seeking a Systems Engineer.
As an UrtheCast Systems Engineer, you will support the UrtheCast OptiSAR space systems development effort, with lead responsibility on the real-time onboard planning subsystem. The onboard planning subsystem will generate an optimal schedule in real-time to task the satellite to acquire imagery, taking into account complex system and resource constraints. The system engineer will lead this subsystem from specification through algorithm development, design and implementation to operational capability in flight. The Systems Engineer is a key member of the engineering team and will support broader OptiSAR mission system engineering as needed.
• Specify requirements and development, traceability and maintenance
• System design and implementation
• System Integration, Verification and Commissioning
• Perform analyses and trade-offs
• Manage technical interface with the mission systems engineering team, ground segment planning software development team, and the satellite subcontractor
• Conduct engineering reviews and develop associated documentation and presentation materials
• Provide software engineering team leadership
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor or Master’s in aerospace engineering, systems engineering or related discipline (engineering, math, physics)
• Professional Engineering designation an asset
• 4+ years' space mission experience with strong preference for direct experience in earth observation missions and their development
• 2+ years' system-level engineering experience
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
• Space mission analysis and design, remote sensing systems engineering, specification development and experience with a space mission.
• Ability to take initiative and thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
• Demonstrate strategic thinking, planning and problem solving skills
• Interest and flexibility in fulfilling multiple roles
• Excellent written and verbal communication
• Knowledge of tech industry and enthusiasm for innovation
• Software engineering / development
• Experience in satellite planning operations and/or in mission planning design
• Real-time processing or embedded software design and implementation (C, preferably for ARM platforms using gcc, Embedded OSes (preferably Linux) and bootloaders)
• Experience leading a team
Fast-paced, open-concept, dynamic team, production-critical, flexible/evolving, growth opportunities
What can we offer you?
• Competitive compensation, full benefits and flexible time off
• Great work environment, team and office location
• Great lunch programs will provide you with an opportunity to learn and socialize, and our Friday afternoons will set the right mood for the weekend
• Free gym membership
• Sports teams (dodgeball, soccer, volleyball etc.) and regular team events
To learn more about UrtheCast’s platform visit www.urthecast.com.