The start date for this position is unknown at this time but we welcome all applications.
UrtheCast Corp. is a Vancouver-based technology company that serves the rapidly evolving geospatial and geoanalytics markets with a wide range of information-rich products and services. UrtheCast is growing and is shaping the future of earth observation. We provide the world with next-generation Earth Observation data using our growing system of space-based sensors. Our Crew members consider themselves agents of change as they work to provide Earth imagery and video data that enables heightened geospatial analysis. With that data, we build our products and services to help everyone — citizens, businesses, and governments alike — make advances in areas ranging from high-tech precision agriculture and forestry resource management, to the monitoring of humanitarian relief efforts. This type of large-scale change requires near-constant technological iteration and innovation, so UrtheCast continues to initiate unprecedented engineering programs like its planned UrtheDaily™ and OptiSAR™ constellations. Every day, we push the limits of what’s possible in space-based Earth Observation.
We are currently seeking a Mechanical Engineer for a full-time, 6 month fix-term contract with the potential to turn into a full-time, permanent position.
As an UrtheCast Mechanical Engineer, you will be responsible for mechanical design and analyses of payload equipment supporting the development of UrtheCast’s XL-Sat. This system consists of a Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) payload and Bus. The work will include the structural and thermal design and analyses of secondary payload items, as well as associated testing activities.
- Mechanical design of components for XL-Sat Payload, including complex assemblies (electronic enclosures)
- Structural analysis of secondary payload items, namely quasi-static, sine vibration, random vibration and shock
- Thermal analysis of secondary payload items
- Create, maintain and alter CAD models
- Work within a multidisciplinary team to ensure performance and environmental specifications are met
- Assist mechanical design of components
- Generate test plans and procedures to assist in the verification of structural and thermal models through ground testing
- Review and approve test reports
- Support the Assembly, Integration and Testing (AIT) of the subsystems and overall system
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or related discipline
- Registered as a Professional Engineer – Asset
- 5+ years’ experience performing structural FEA, preferably in aerospace industry
- 3+ years’ experience performing thermal design and analysis (system and/or unit level), preferably in aerospace industry
- Experience in environmental testing and verification of space-borne hardware (vibration, thermal cycling, TVAC)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
- CAD modeling using SolidWorks (strongly preferred) or other CAD packages
- Proficiency with a commercial FEA package (Patran, NX Nastran, Abaqus, Hyperworks, etc...)
- Proficiency with Thermica, Thermal Desktop, Patran TFEA, NX Space Systems Thermal/TMG or other commercial thermal analysis software.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Bonus points for:
- Knowledge of the machining industry and processes
- Enthusiasm for innovation
- Knowledge of NASA or ESA design, test and qualification processes
- Knowledge of space industry qualification and test procedures for flight programs
- Acoustic analysis and testing of space-borne hardware
- Fast-paced, open-concept, constantly evolving
- Some travel required
What can we offer you?
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- Great work environment, team and office location
- Great lunch programs will provide you with an opportunity to learn and socialize, and our Friday afternoons will set the right mood for the weekend